Wednesday 14 September 2011

China Glaze Craze?



I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about China Glaze nail polishes recently and have been dying to try them out for myself since I first discovered them. Having tried other higher end nail polish brands such as OPI and not been overly impressed (I find they need a lot of coats to build up a solid colour), I decided to continue my quest to find the perfect polish. Little did I know it is no mean feat to find China Glaze in UK stores and I was just about ready to pay a bomb on Ebay to have them shipped in from abroad when I discovered them readily available in a shop in my own town, Sally’s, to be precise. As I’m sure most of you already know, Sally’s is a supply shop for professionals in the hair and beauty industry so it had completely slipped my mind to check there as it’s not a place I usually shop.

The choice of colours in stock was limited, but I was instantly drawn to the creamy, hot pink shade ‘Sexy Lady’ (no. 660). I’m quite the fan of brighter nail varnish shades and noticing the pink breast cancer ribbon on the bottle I was sold and bought it straight away! At £6.49, China Glaze Nail Lacquer costs about the same as the higher price range drugstore brands do, but considerably less than OPI which retails online at Asos for £10.50 a bottle.

After further research into the breast cancer ribbon on the bottle, I discovered that ‘Sexy Lady’ was part of a collection which was released a couple of years ago called “One in Three” along with two other pink polishes; ‘Diva Bride’ and ‘Exceptionally Gifted’. The collection was released to promote breast cancer awareness, although I was unable to find out if any of the proceeds from the sale are donated to the charity (I do hope so!).

When applying, I found the polish to have a nice consistency; not to thin and runny and not too thick and gloopy, with a nice long brush. On application, the polish created an almost opaque finish on the first coat and when topped off with a very thin second coat the colour was completely solid. The colour itself looked the same once applied as it did and the bottle, a glossy, creamy hot pink and I was very impressed to finally find a nice bright pink polish without it being garishly fluorescent like many bright polishes are.

Overall, I was very happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend China Glaze to anyone who hasn’t tried it yet. I think I’ve definitely bought into the China Glaze craze and I will be definitely making another trip to Sally’s very, very soon.

Thankyou so much for reading my first post! I hope to be adding a lot more reviews and such soon and in the meantime please feel free to comment with any ideas you have :)

Emma xoxo

(P.S. Please excuse the quality of the pictures- I’m working on it!)


4 comments:

  1. Super pretty colour.

    Helen, x
    http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice, bright colour. Products linked to charities always sway me more too, added bonus of helping others while getting yourself a treat!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review! Really useful advice about OPI too and about Sally's! I'm looking forward to reading some more,you write really well! I'll be following! Please look at my fashion/everything vintage blog and follow if you enjoy my ramblings. http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.com/
    Take care
    XxxX

    ReplyDelete